Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Photo Essay: The Venetian and City of Dreams, Macau

It's "the most wonderful time of the year" and we're miles away from home. Christmas in Oaxaca City, Mexico sort of resembles that of the Philippines'. Unfortunately, instead of getting rid of this nasty thing called homesickness, the merry atmosphere on the eve of the 24th aggravated it further more. Watching families stroll together around the zocalo made me miss my family so much... The feeling now actually hurts.

What I miss most, their smiles.

I find browsing through our Macau trip photos therapeutic, that's why despite the holiday fever, I had the drive to resume my Meet My Backpacking Folks Series. Remember the day when we transferred from century-Old SanVa Hospederia to the more swanky Pousada De Coloane Beach Hotel? Well, we resisted the urge to swim in a deep sea of blankets and everyone quickly took turns in the shower (cause SanVa Hospederia's bathrooms made us cringe, none of us bothered to do so when we arrived in Macau the night before).

At about 4:00 in the afternoon, after much barking at everybody like some military officer reminding his soldiers of their schedule, we finally headed out.

The whole gang waiting for the bus.

A long walk from the bus stop to The Venetian's main entrance. Mum all sweaty, can be seen here removing her cardigan. Modelesque. Turned this pavement into a catwalk.

The folks marveled at every eye-catching design, and there were uhm, tons!

Gambling ain't for you? How about shopping? Neither of the two attracted us, but a quick walk by the Grand Canal was pretty entertaining.

According to Wikipedia, "The Venetian also boasts the largest number of Filipino gondoleers in the world". K! Sorry, did I miss the punchline?

Cotai Strip's skyline.

About to cross the street toward the City of Dreams.

Inside the City of Dreams' 360° Bubble Theatre.

The Dragon's Treasure (what we came here for) is a 10-minute visual treat. Mom just kept saying "Wow!".

Capped off the night with a dinner at the City of Dreams' food court. I sooo dig this funky ceiling!

Thankfully our first whole day in Macau went by without much bickering between me and my mom family members. This was what the family needed at that time, a breather. A break from stress brought about by conventional routine. Oh how I wish they are with us right now, routineless too.

Macau Series: Meet My Backpacking Folks

Meet My Backpacking Folks
Century-Old SanVa Hospederia
Largo Do Senado: And The Family Chaos Continues
Review: Pousada De Coloane Beach Hotel

Share


This page was viewed times.

14 comments:

Gladys | WanderingTandem.com said...
December 28, 2011 at 3:39 PM

i haven't been away from my family during Christmas time... and i don't know what it would feel like to spend Christmas so far away from them. but then again, at least, ur having a grand time there in mexico :)

love ur photos of the venetian. too bad mokong and i were so tired from all the walking tours, hindi na kami nagpunta dyan. sayang lang :(

escape said...
December 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM

nice. gambling didnt attract you but the canal... wow. nice indeed. kakatuwa di ka pala mahilig sa shopping.

inggit ako kasi nabuhat na nila si Luna. hanggang pictures na lang muna ako.

soloflightEd said...
December 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM

when i entered the golden hallway (dunno what it's called) at the Venetian, all I could say was 'Wow!' and really felt that I was in Macau! :D

Pinay Travel Junkie said...
December 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Gladys, the feeling is sooo depressing! Anyhoo, I made sure The Venetian's included in our IT kasi walang ganun na makikita sila sa Pilipinas. Haha! At least, not yet.

Pinay Travel Junkie said...
December 28, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Donh, pag-uwi namin ang bigat na ng bubuhatin mo. Haha!

Unknown said...
December 29, 2011 at 4:04 AM

Up until this day, I'm still cursing myself why I hadn't brought a good camera to give justice to the Venetian. :))

Pinay Travel Junkie said...
December 29, 2011 at 5:31 AM

Aww... Lloyd, if you get the chance to revisit, you know what to do :)

Unknown said...
December 29, 2011 at 8:02 AM

I feel you pain. I was away from homE last Christmas and the homesickness was horrible. Add that to the fact I was also pregnant and suffering from morning sickness helped make matters worse. Hay!

nathalie said...
December 29, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I love the Venetian ganda talaga, si mommy mowdel na mowdel ang dating..hehehe
I really wanted to experience christmas outside Pinas pero parang depressing ata. :(

Pinay Travel Junkie said...
December 30, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Aww... Tin, I feel for you. When I was pregnant I made sure I was in the province with my relatives. It's a phase to be spent with the family :)

Pinay Travel Junkie said...
December 30, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Nathalie, yeah, The Venetian's a fine piece of art.

Aleah | SolitaryWanderer.com said...
December 31, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Christmas is really for families. All of us make it a point to go home for this season. Don't know if I can do that next year though. Maybe I can relate na with the song "Iba talaga ang Pasko sa Pinas." Merry Christmas, Gay!

Pinay Travel Junkie said...
December 31, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Will you be far away next Christmas, Aleah? Like far, far away?

escape said...
December 31, 2011 at 11:49 AM

ihahanda ko katawan ko sa 2012 para sa pagbuhat kay Luna. mukhang ilang bundok kailangan kong akyatin. lol. a photo op with the little nomad will be fantastic!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...